The Beacon Medical Centre

Patient Transport

You may be entitled to patient transport or help with the costs of your travel, find out more here. 

Non Emergency Patient Transport

For the Patient Transport Advice Service phone 0345 155 1009.

PTAS will take bookings from patients and NHS staff between 7.00am – 6.00pm, Monday to Friday (except bank holidays). The service will be provided by Devon County Council.

Patients are still encouraged to make their own way to NHS appointments wherever possible. However, if they are too unwell to travel by car, taxi, public transport, or community transport, they can contact the Devon Patient Transport Advice Service (PTAS) to see if they are eligible for non-emergency patient transport. Those who normally use the service and have already been assessed should also use this number. Eligibility is based on clinical need, not affordability.

Patients who are not eligible for non-emergency transport will continue to receive support and information about local community transport services, which are there to assist local people to get to health and social care services.  Community transport services provide support for patients who need less assistance to travel to appointments.

Sidmouth Volunteer Services

Sidmouth volunteer drivers use their own cars to transport you to medical appointments, including doctor, dentist and hospital appointments in and around the Sid Valley area and as far as Exeter, or beyond if required. To book phone 01395 512221 before 11.30am or after this time leave a message. Please give them as much advanced warning as possible

Help with Travel Costs

Patients (and sometimes their escort) who are under the care of a consultant or who have been referred by their GP, dentist or optician may be entitled to help with travel, parking and toll costs. If you are eligible, the refund will be for the full costs when the cheapest suitable form of transport is used. Help is available to anyone who receives:
  • Income support
  • Income based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
  • A NHS Tax Credit exemption certificate
  • Universal Credit (not all claimants, check on
  • On a low income and is named on certificate HC2 or HC3 – to apply for a certificate, complete form HC1. Click here to complete the form online 

Refunds of the costs for those eligible can be reclaimed at the time if you can show proof of entitlement and receipts/tickets, or by post up to three months after your journey using form HC5 (T).Click here to find  a HC5 form 

Date published: 15th June, 2020
Date last updated: 15th June, 2020